Monday, January 26, 2009

Quick, easy, and oh so yummy!

I thought I would give something new a try. I found a website that had some recipes for homemade baby food. I never realized how fast and easy it is to make your own baby food! So I thought I'd give it a try. First, I did something I rarely do....I went to Wal-mart. (I had to head over there to pick up some throw pillows for my new bedding.) So while I was there, I set out to find some sort of chopper/food processor to make my little one some sweet puree. I came across an inexpensive Hamilton Beach 3 cup chopper. This chopper works perfectly and gets the job done.

First up, I tried the bananas. Bananas are probably the one thing that I won't be chopping, kinda made them a little frothy...mashing them up with a fork or potato masher for a couple of minutes works better. Abigail LOVED the bananas, and I can't say I blame her. They smelled and tasted sooo much sweeter than the jarred. Yum! Be careful not to feed a baby too much banana though, the average banana is about 180 calories, most Stage 1 jarred food has no more than 45 calories. Start off with 1/3 to 1/2 of a banana.

Last night, I tried the sweet potato. I baked a small sweet potato, took the peel off and then put it all in the chopper for about 10 seconds. You can add water to make the consistency you need. Again, Abigail loved this!

Tonight, Abigail tried green beans for the first time. Before seasoning the beans I was cooking for the rest of the family, I dipped out about 10 beans and pureed them in the chopper. The consistency was similar to applesauce. Abigail's first bite was not so favorable but with each bite she seemed to enjoy them more and more.

Tomorrow we're trying pears for the first time. They are very easy to do given their softness. All I had to do was peel and cut up the pear and then puree. Again, the consistency of this was similar to applesauce. I'm looking forward to trying squash and carrots, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Abigail will continue to like her new menu!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well, aren't you just little Mrs. Suzy Homemaker!! I think that is awesome to feed these babies the freshest way possible. Avoid all that other junk stuffed up in our food. :) Way to go!! :) I think it's awesome!